Monday, May 12, 2014

At Home With: Olivia Thornton

From being discovered in 2009 on the Gold Coast, walking runways in fashion capitals of the world & being photographed by fashion royalty, our Olivia Thornton has done a few things that your average 21year old hasn't. 
So we decided to catch up with our beauty whilst she was at home (for a hot mintue) to learn more about the Olivia that's described as "Witty, ambitious and a little bit weird"

(photographer: Romain Duquesne)



What was your first modelling job?
 My first paid job was a hair campaign I shot in Brisbane when I was 17. I still remember being like a deer in headlights on set, thankfully the photographer on the day, the incredibly talented Israel Rivera, was very encouraging. I still think he taught me almost everything I know now.

Who would you love to work with in this industry?
 I'm incredibly thankful that I've already worked with someone I admire (Hedi Slimane) but I'd love to work with Alexander Wang.

What’s your favourite place your job has taken you to?
 A couple of years ago I got to visit Florence in Italy for a job, which was absolutely breathtaking. Fortunately I had enough spare time to wander around the markets and the little backstreets, and along the canal! It's a place I've always wanted to go so I feel so fortunate to have been able to do so.

The person whose style you wish you could steal?
 My style varies quite a bit so this is a tough one to answer! Some days I love to dress clean and chic a la Alexa Chung, others more grungey and undone like Daria Werbowy or Erin Wasson. However recently I did find myself taking an embarrassingly large number of fashion cues from the cast of Saved By The Bell...

What’s been your most memorable work moment to date?
 Being photographed by Hedi Slimane, walking for Saint Laurent and my continued work for the label over the past year has me feeling very lucky (and kinda cool)

What city is home away from home?
 Whenever I go to Paris I feel as though I've come home. I have some extremely close friends there and I've gotten to know the city really well. I feel super accomplished that I can now mostly get around on foot without a map.

Favourite home cooked meal?
 My Dad makes an awesome seafood pasta!

The one piece of clothing you can’t live without?
 I have a pair of the RM Williams boots that Dion Lee used in his show last year. I wear them all the time!

Last big purchase you made?
 Does an expensive naturopath and acupuncture session count?

Favourite song right now?
 I can't narrow it down to one, but I've been listening to heaps of Thee Oh Sees and Mac DeMarco lately.

Ideal vacation destination?
 The Greek Islands, ever since I was about 13. Still haven't made it there!

On a Friday night, where can we most likely find you?
 Depends which city I'm in! 
If I'm in Sydney, probably at a friends house or at a bar. If I'm in Paris, I'll be at my favourite bar in the Marais with my dear French friends drinking whiskey. If I'm in New York, probably out for dinner or having a dinner party with friends!

Beach or poolside?
 Always beach. I need the ocean.

Favourite model right now?
 Sarah Pauley, only because she's my best friend in the whole universe. And she's incredibly beautiful, of course.

Brothers and sisters?
 22 year old sister, 19 year old brother. 

Coffee or tea?
 I want to say tea but I love a good coffee. Both?

Favourite spot in Sydney to eat out?
 I love Bar Indigo in Double Bay, Kawa on Crown St and Corelli's in Newtown for breakfast; West Juliett in Marrickville, The Grounds in Alexandria and Watson's Bay Hotel in Watson's Bay for Lunch; and Sushi Suma and The Winery in Surry Hills for dinner. Amongst others! Too tough to narrow it down.

How do you keep fit?
 My primary mode of transport is my own two feet. I love few things more than getting around whichever beautiful city I'm in on foot, listening to music and taking in the sights. Apart from that I like to run, swim and do the occasional yoga class. I also eat lots of fruit and veggies, whole grains, and lean protein. And of course I treat myself occasionally!

How would your friends describe you?
 Energetic, witty, ambitious, and a little bit weird.